Tier 2, targeted, group-based interventions are designed to serve students who have not responded to Tier 1 interventions. The 10-15% of students in Tier 2 are considered at-risk for more severe behavioral problems and/or academic deficits (Lewis & Sugai, 1999; Sugai & Horner, 2002). Essentially, the interventions at this level are more focused than Tier 1 and less intensive than Tier 3.
Ready for Tier 2? Register for free to watch our on-demand Tier 2 Readiness webinar
Key Features of Tier 2 Interventions:
- Continuously available
- Accessible within 72 hours of referral
- Very low effort by teachers
- Aligned with school-wide expectations.
- Implemented by all staff/faculty in a school.
- Flexible and based on assessment.
- Allocated adequate resources
- Student chooses to participate.
- Continuously monitored
Tier 2 Assessments and Action Planning:
- Critical Features of Tier 2 Action Planning
- Aligning Teaming Structures, Working Smarter Not Harder
- School Level Intervention Mapping Tool
- Tier 2 Systems and Check In Check Out workbook
Additional Resources for Tier 2 Systems:
- What is Tier 2?
- Tier 2 Data, Systems, and Practices
- Check In Check Out: PBIS Missouri
- Good Behavior Game
- De-escalation Strategies