Tier 1 are universal or primary approaches that are preventative in nature (Sugai & Homer, 2002). Tier 1 systems, data, and practices impact everyone across all settings. They establish the foundation for delivering regular, proactive support and preventing unwanted behaviors. Tier 1 emphasizes prosocial skills and expectations by teaching and acknowledging appropriate student behavior.
Tier 1 foundational systems include:
- An established leadership team
- Regular meetings
- A commitment statement for establishing a positive school-wide social culture
- On-going use of data for decision making
- Professional development plans
- Evaluation plan
Tier 1 practices include:
- School-wide positive expectations and behaviors are taught
- Established classroom expectations aligned with school-wide expectations
- High leverage classroom practices that encourage expected behavior
- Evidence based classroom practices for teachers
- A continuum of instructional practices that avoid shaming and isolation
- Supporting Students with Disabilities
- Procedures for encouraging school-family partnership
- Positive Greetings at the Door
NWPBIS is a proud partner with Midwest PBIS Network. Our training materials are developed from research projects in partnership with Midwest.
- All materials Tier 1 for District and School Teams, including Classroom Practices
- Wondering about readiness for the work?
- Beginning to address Equity in Tier 1
- Embedding culturally responsive practices in Tier 1
Student Groups and Support: